Monday, July 3, 2017

Kitchen Items for an Indian Grad Student - I

 A few of my friends have been asking me what they should take with them when they go abroad for the first time so I've prepared a list of things that I took and refined it a bit.

Let's start with the pots and pans:-

Everything that I bought was from Prestige or Futura. Here's my exhaustive list:
Stainless steel pot that fits inside the cooker with lid

Important Notes:
  • Everything must be INDUCTION compatible!
  • The stainless steel pot is VERY convenient for cooking rice and dhal at the same time and not getting the cooker dirty. Simply keep the rice in the pot with the required amount of water and the dhal on the top tray with water, turmeric, and oil. Add water to the pressure cooker, put the pot in and cook as you normally would cook the rice and both items would be ready in no time. The dhal does not spill and the cooker does not get dirty if the pot is correctly placed with the right amount of ingredients.
  • If you are short on space, you can leave out the sauce pan and the kadai. The pressure cooker can be used as a kadai/sauce pan as well. These are easily available abroad.
  • You can get spoons, forks, plates, plastic containers, salt and pepper shakers, cups, cutting board sheets at the DollarTree. Do not buy a knife here. 
  • It is not advisable to use plastic items while heating food. I recommend buying a 10-piece Pyrex set on arrival. 
  • The vegetable chopper is convenient if cooking in bulk. Otherwise, it is a hassle to clean.

To know about what spices and food items to take, check out Part - II!



6 comments:

john said...

Such a nice post for singles and students. I was once a student and I too have gone through a lot of shit. Now I have my own house and I am planning to renovate my kitchen. Can you help me suggest anything to look for in a modular kitchen.

Eliza Leazzy said...

Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website. Fabulous post. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon. Best Bike Water Bottle Holders

Unknown said...

The Best Kitchen Faucets in Detail · Delta Faucet Single-Handle Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet · Moen One-Handle High Arc Kitchen Faucet · https://kitchenfa.com/

MithiranR said...

Nice post! Stainless steel cookware sets are trendy nowadays. The Basic stainless steel cookware can be used in both induction and stove. And I would like to share some types of stainless steel cookware that you should have in your kitchen.
Steel Cooker Online
Tri Ply Saucepan
Triply Tawa

MithiranR said...

Nice Post! Healthy eating is by healthy cooking. In the Modern World everyone wants to make their place look awesome and beautiful . I would like to share some cookware that looks classy.
tri ply cookware india
Steel Hotpot
Triply Pan

Ishan Sharma said...

Thanks a lot for all these methods. I'm sure it gonna aid many people like me.

I also want to give my personal experience with you.

Recently I renewed my Bathroom with the latest stylish and Water saver Luxury Faucets. The best thing about the Bathroom Taps is that they can be turned on just by a tap of your turn to make your bathroom and kitchen more comfortable.